Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Edmodo - social networks for students


McKinney ISD has been using Edmodo a LOT this year! At McGowen, weve used it at almost every professional development day – to collaborate, to post answers to questions, to turn in assignments, and more. 4th and 5th grade teachers have used it this year to implement a flipped classroom model. Edmodo has been used to organize virtual book clubs, so students can talk about their books without having to be in the same room.

Ideas for using Edmodo in the classroom:
  • ·      Professional development
  • ·      Book clubs
  • ·      Flipped classroom
  • ·      Use folders within Edmodo to keep files for students and teachers for future use
  • ·      Set up an Edmodo group for new teachers so they can comfortably ask newbie questions.

Below is a few screenshots of Edmodo examples and how theyre used. Thanks to Ms. Ellison and Mrs. Evans for sending me these!





If you have used Edmodo in your class or with your teachers, let us know so you can earn a STAR for your superhero cape!


2 comments:

  1. I use Edmodo to post my weekly math problem solving. It also is a great "dropbox" like application for lessons (especially when Citrix was so difficult to access). I also let my students save their work on there to share with the class later, especially for work I want to save but don't want to post to our blog or to my teacher Wiki.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At the beginning of the year I used it as a flipped classroom element. Teaching ELAR, social studies, and having time for iStation in an hour and a half time period was very difficult. So I decided to record a few short videos focusing on social studies concepts. The students would watch these videos at night and fill in a short question and answer activity. The next day I would build upon that inform with group activities.

    ReplyDelete